Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory



This is my 2nd Philippa Gregory book, I read The Other Boleyn Girl first. I was looking forward to the story of Katherine of Aragon. My knowledge of the history during her reign is zero, but reading this book has inspired me to want to find out more about her parents and the historical facts during her reign.

I knew nothing about Katherine of Aragon the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain, so I was excited the story began when she was ground. Her parents were constantly on crusade against the Moors. I soon learned this was the only exciting part of the entire book.

I was not impressed with any of the characters; Katherine was very self centered and arrogant I never felt anything for her and thought she got what she deserved. Henry VII was laughable his lust for his daughter-in-law was too much. Author I felt was thrown into the story but really never developed as a character for me, so I found it hard to digest this “love affair” they had before he died. The “death bed” promise to me to not fit in well.

After Author died Katherine was treated very badly not only by Henry VII and his mother, but her own family ignored her, not sure how much of this is fact or fiction. I wanted to stop reading the book how many more times did I have to read she was destined to be Queen of England, hence the word "Constant" in title, and insisted that she had to marry Henry. In the end she finally won and married Henry.

Finally married to Henry VIII, I was hoping the story would get more exciting would have more insight to her reign and learn more of Henry, again I was disappointed the story was slow the scenes seemed rushed, and before I know it her marriage to Henry was over. I was left going “What happened”.

I really wanted to enjoy this book, but I didn’t. It really has been searching out other writers of Katherine of Aragon learn what facts are known of her.

1 comment:

Teddy Rose said...

I gave it 3/5 stars. It was pretty weak but not a waste of time for me. I listened to the audio version for working out in the gym and it was good for that. It entertained me, but there wasn't a heavy plot to follow. LOL!